Science courses are consistent with the district’s mission, as students in science are given opportunities to use critical and creative thinking skills to define questions, develop and implement plans to solve problems, answer questions and communicate their findings to others. Science courses support the Common Core State Standards for Literacy in Science and Technical Subjects. Students in science will be able to respond to reading scientific textual material by:
- Summarizing central ideas
- Using science-specific language
- Identifying the structure and purpose
- Creating visual representations
- Objectively taking a stand
- Creating critiques of scientific content
- Writing with logic, coherence and knowledge
The New York State Learning Standards for Math, Science and Technology are a powerful resource for the design and evaluation of science curricula at North Salem. These teaching standards include:
- Students will use mathematical analysis, scientific inquiry and engineering designs, as appropriate, to pose questions, seek answers and develop solutions.
- Students will access, generate, process and transfer information using appropriate technologies.
- Students will understand and apply scientific concepts, principles, and theories pertaining to the physical setting and living environment and recognize the historical development of ideas in science.
- Students will apply technological knowledge and skills to design, construct, use and evaluate products and systems to satisfy human and environmental needs.
- Students will understand the relationships and common themes that connect mathematics, science and technology, and apply the themes to these and other areas of learning.
- Students will apply the knowledge and thinking skills of mathematics, science and technology to address real life problems and make informed decisions.
Recommended Science Course Sequences
Regents Program: For those students who desire a strong academic background in the sciences.
- 8th Physical Setting/Earth Science Regents
- 9th Living Environment/Biology Regents
- 10th Physical Setting/Chemistry and Scientific Research
- 11th Physical Setting/Physics and/or AP Biology, AP Environmental Science, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, Scientific Research and/or other electives
- 12th Physical Setting/Physics and/or AP Biology, AP Environmental Science, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, Science Research and/or other electives